Tennessee Registered Nurse 5 Hours Needed
Nurses must renew their license every two years by the last day of their birth month. Educational requirements for all nurses include completion of two out of 15 of Tennessee’s Continuing Competence Options. These requirements are in addition to any national certifications held and requirements of that certifying body.
RNs and LPNs: No continuing education required at this time.
APNs: Must maintain national certification. Licensees who hold a Certificate of Fitness are required 2 hours in controlled substance prescribing every two year licensing period.
Renewal fee is $90.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Please contact the Tennessee State Board of Nursing at (615) 532-3202 orhttp://health.state.tn.us/boards/nursing/ for additional information.
Nurses will renew their licenses every 2 years and must fulfill their renewal requirements through TWO of the following:
- Copy of Satisfactory employer evaluation
- Letter from a peer providing a satisfactory evaluation of your nursing performance
- Letter from a patient or family member giving evidence of a satisfactory nurse/patient relationship
- Copy of a contract of renewal or re-appointment to a nursing position
- Written self-evaluation based on the standards of competence listed in the rules
- Evidence of current national certification
- A document that identifies two nursing goals and how you met these goals
- A letter from the agency where you volunteered as a nurse
- Documentation from a school of nursing stating that you participated in the education of nursing students
- Copy of a published article relevant to nursing written by the licensee
- Letter of satisfactory completion of a nursing refresher course
- Letter of satisfactory completion of a comprehensive nursing orientation program
- Official transcript (may be student issued) demonstrating two hours of nursing credit
- Evidence of successfully retaken NCLEX
- Certificate/evidence of 5 hours of continuing education