Florida Licensed Practical Nurse: 24-26 Hours Needed
Initial Licensure and First Renewal
- A one-time requirement of one (1) hour of HIV/AIDS is needed prior to first renewal
- Visit the LPN renewal page at Florida Board of Nursing for details regarding first renewal
Every Renewal Period Post First Renewal
- 18 general hours
- Two (2) hours relating to prevention of medical errors.
- Two (2) hours relating to Florida laws and rules.
- Two (2) hours relating to human trafficking.
Select Renewal Periods Post First Renewal
- Two (2) hours of domestic violence CE every third renewal in addition to the standard 24 hours, making a total of 26 hours that renewal period
HIV/AIDS 1- is a one-time requirement prior to the first renewal.
Florida Board of Nursing Rule Change
Effective 8/1/2017, LPNs will be required to take two (2) hours relating to recognizing impairment in the workplace every other renewal. During the renewal periods that would include this requirement, only 16 general hours of CE will be required.
Florida is a member of the enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact, allowing for practice in specific states with only a single state’s license. Details can be found here.
Steps To Complete
- Complete required continuing education hours.
- Complete renewal information and application and pay your appropriate renewal fee for desired license status by mail or online.
- Check CE Broker to make sure all CE hours have been appropriately reported.
FL Board approved CE providers are required to report completed hours within 60 days of the date of completion. If you take a course approved by another state board, you will need to self report the course on cebroker.com.