Delaware Registered Nurse: 30 Hours Needed
Initial Licensure and Renewal
Registered Nurses in Delaware must complete the standard renewal requirements for their first renewal unless they fall into the following conditions.
- RNs renewing for the first time who were initially licensed by examination are not required to complete any CE hours for the first renewal
- RNs licensed by endorsement who have been licensed for less than one year are not required to complete any CE hours
- If an RN has endorsed into Delaware or whose license was reactivated/reinstated during a biennium (where more than a full calendar year remains before renewal deadline), only 12 general hours of CE are required, making a total of 15 hours.
Every Renewal Period Post First Renewal
Registered Nurses must complete 30 CE hours for every licensure or renewal period. In addition, you must attest that you have practiced Nursing at least 1,000 hours in the past five years or 400 hours in the past two years.
- 27 general hours
- Three (3) hours in the area of substance abuse
Delaware is a member of the enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact, allowing for practice in specific states with only a single state’s license. Details can be found here.
Registered Nurses renew in three different groups every odd year. Group one renews February 28, group two renews May 31, and group three renews September 30. Your renewal date depends on when your license was originally issued, but all new RN licenses will expire in September.
Steps To Complete
- Complete required continuing education hours.
- Complete renewal information and application and pay your appropriate renewal fee for desired license status by mail or online.
All CE hours completed must come from a provider that has been pre-approved by the Delaware Board of Nursing. For more information on Delaware RN licensure and renewal, please visit the Delaware Board website.
Click the course card to the left to access a customized course search specific to Delaware RNs. If you have any questions, use the chat icon in the bottom corner of your screen or check out support.mytablemesa.com.